We advise Charitable Trusts, Incorporated Societies, Associations, Charitable Companies, Social Enterprises, Industrial & Provident Societies and other non-profit bodies.
We have significant experience in the complex area of Charities and Not-for-Profit law. We advise Charitable Trusts, Incorporated Societies, Associations, Charitable Companies, Social Enterprises, Industrial & Provident Societies and other non-profit bodies. Our clients include small, medium, and large not-for-profit organizations nationwide.
We provide specialised legal services to charities, community associations and non-profit enterprises and we understand their needs and the things that are important for them to function well. We have significant experience in acting for organisations that promote social welfare, mental health, disability and humanitarian aid, Christian ministry, sporting and cultural activities, and other non-profit ventures throughout New Zealand.
We offer a commercial perspective to our non-profit clients, especially in relation to corporate and operational structures, social enterprise, and activities which require our clients to enter into commercial arrangements. We also act on joint ventures, collaborative arrangements mergers, acquisitions and amalgamations involving not-for-profit organisations.
Our firm provides strategic planning, enterprise development and corporate governance advice and services at the local community, regional and national level. We assist not-for-profit groups and charities in many ways , including:
- establishing legal frameworks and structures for health trusts and societies, religious bodies, educational institutions, social welfare and community organizations
- assisting in risk management and corporate liability issues, regulatory compliance, and conflicts of interest
- resolving disputes with settlements often reached without recourse to litigation
- making submissions to the Inland Revenue Department and Charities Commission on tax and charitable entity status
- acting for international not-for-profit organisations and advising them on compliance and cross border issues
- advising Christian charities and churches on compliance and governance oversight
We can further assist non-profit bodies in the following areas: taxation; restructuring and collaborative working; regulatory compliance; public service contracts requirements; working with government departments; assistance with funders and sponsors; and employment and independent contractor agreements.
We work with our clients in ways that suit them best. We can provide a full gamut of legal, project management and change management advice to trustees and senior management teams, helping them address risk and liability, human resource and financial issues. Alternatively, we can simply give light touch general advice on governance issues, contracts or disputes. As specialist lawyers to non-profit and charitable bodies, we understand the needs of the not-for-profit sector and work with our clients to make a real difference in their particular areas.