We’ve assisted clients in various legal matters in our particular areas of practice.
Here are some examples of our work:
Non-Profit Bodies and Charities
- Regularly advise NFP bodies in relation to tax exemptions, as well as applications relating to Schedule 32 of Income Tax Act 2007 and Cabinet approval for full taxable exemptions
- Advised on, and settled, at least four Mergers/Amalgamations of NFPs in the past 2 years
- Advised a leading shareholder lobby group on creating a NFP structure and undertaking successful registration under the Charities Act
- Advised large NFP on acquisition of multi-million dollar commercial property for commercial development purposes
- Advised large NFP client on the sale of their iconic, landmark commercial property in the heart of Auckland city
- Legal advisors to one of the largest non-profit employers in the Auckland area (with over 360 employees)
- Advised a District Health Board on non-profit structures
- Legal advisors to public funded NGOs and social welfare/ health services non-profit organisations
- Legal advisors to two (2) large Public Health Organisations.
- Assisted at least 3 public funded health care providers in the past 3 years
- Regularly advise organisations in the health, community development, education, child support, disability care and support (including hearing and vision impaired groups), illness recovery and rehabilitation (i.e. cancer).
- Regularly advise on Religion and the Law issues, and assist churches with legal compliance and dispute matters.
- Advised 3 related community trusts with asset base of approximately $210m
Advisory and Commercial Services
- Lead corporate advisor to key government expert witness at the Royal Commission of Enquiry into the Christchurch Earthquakes (April 2012 to November 2012)
- Undertook work advising an international health services company on a $22m share subscription and buy out by a UK based competitor
- Advised NZ media company on amalgamations and employee share scheme arrangements
- Advisors to health organisation with annual revenue of approximately $27m on governance and services contracts and corporate liability
- Advised on joint venture between multiple corporate parties to acquire and develop commercial real estate in Tauranga; and implemented acquisition transaction for the purposes of development
- Advised on shareholder's dispute in a closely-held company which carried on business in retailing health supplements; assisted in buy-out by one party
- Advised on major acquisition of multiple manufacturing plants throughout NZ by Australian client; Commerce Commission issues; multiple entities; drafting foundational contract and working on the acquisition transaction
- Advised on sale of client's major laboratory business to US multi-national; Commerce Act issues; warranty & indemnification issues; environmental issues; working on foundational contract; and settlement
- Advised on disposal of shopping centre on North Shore; protracted leasing issues; concluding successful disposal
- Advised on sale of private commercial land in West Auckland to Singaporean multi- national; OIO consent issues; transaction and settlement, et cetera
- Creation of national licensing system for well-known pastry goods company; documentation; advising on the sale of licences
- Advised financial institution client being investigated by Commerce Commission, including advocacy for client and holding off any further investigation into client's affairs
- Advised NZ based client on sale of a division of its industrial engineering business
- Advised NZ based commercial client on participating in sub-contract for building multi-million dollar "super yachts" for the international market
- Assisted Auckland based construction company with disputes under the Constructions Contracts Act and with contract law matters
- Legal advisors to Auckland based multi-store electronics retailer